Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm Off for New Mexico!

I'm heading for Boy Scout Camp Wehinahpey (sp?), near Cloudcroft New Mexico, this week. My very good friend and fellow Scout Leader, Bo Jackson, and I are taking our boys and seven other stalwart young Scouts from our troop to summer camp in the southern Rocky Mountains.

Originally I was supposed to do a backpacking trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness (Montana Bear Country) with the older boys this summer, but due to circumstances beyond my control (long story)... not gonna happen this year. I did, however, get my hair buzzed in empathy with my friends who are leaving for that trek tomorrow...

The Bob will still be there in a few years when I'll have the opportunity to do it again. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to a week in New Mexico :-). No phones, no TV, no internet.

I may not come back, actually...

(You know the really sad thing? These kids haven't even clued in to the fact that their leaders are named "Bo Jackson" and "Matt Dillon". *sigh* I hate getting old...)

2 Comments:

Blogger David Koch said...

Does Bo know camping?

You are not the only one who is getting old, "marshall". ;-)

5:36 AM  
Blogger Matt Dillon said...

Dude, Bo knows camping. You should see us when we go "static camping" (car camping - not backpacking). Between him and I, we serve up enough dutch-oven meals to feed an army. It's sort of a friendly competition between the two of us. I do a mean pot roast and my man Bo can cook up a hell of a good pot of hamhocks and beans...

And when it's not an "offishul" Scout outing, we've been known to enjoy a toddy or two with a good ceegar around the campfire late at night. :-)

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home